Monday, April 29, 2013

PRK Don't Stand for "PaRK It"!


I am 18 days post-op from PRK corrective eye surgery and I hit the trails like a wild turkey tonight!  In fact I saw two wild turkeys, each about thrice the size of Piya!  I surprised one of them and I thought he was going to charge me with his loud squawking and chordling, but my fleetness of foot had me around the bend 'fore he could peck my heels!  In the mornings, before a day's worth of med drop residue, I can see like an eagle, especially when it's sunny and bright.  Both eyes are about the same in progress now, I'd say 95%.

Boy it's fun running trails--tonight at Battle Creek Regional Park.  It's just big enough to get good and lost, but not so big that you get good and lost for long.  It's a trail with lots of ups and downs, twists and turns, a few downed trees to jump, mud puddles, a healthy portion of spaghetti tree roots, and some straightaways to find my groove in.  It is "groomed" and safe enough for me to go at about a 7:45 pace.  I'm thinking of organizing a trail training option for our Team World Vision--that'd be fun going single-file, hoping to avoid the ol' branch slap!

I'm 6 days away from my pre-training month when miles will pick up significantly and I'll start some hills.  My hopes to get eye recovery underway, drop a few kilos, and build a bit of a base to move forward with has all taken pretty good shape in April. My first race takes place in a couple weeks at the ACPE National Meeting in Indianapolis.  Hopefully the non-human turkeys will be few that day.

No comments:

Post a Comment