Thursday, April 11, 2013

Going Under the Laser

After 23 years of wearing contacts everyday I am going under the laser tomorrow for PRK corrective surgery.  I just can't imagine sticking plastic in my eye for another 30 years, and my rigorous sweating will not allow me to wear glasses during all my runs....so.....  PRK is alot like Lasik except that instead of making a cornea "flap" to access the deeper cornea for correction, it abrasions off the outer epithelial cells of the cornea, and then they grow back in a few days.  The actual laser correction is identical to Lasik.  I decided on PRK because 1) I have slightly thin corneas, though still a candidate for Lasik, and PRK preserves more corneal tissue than Lasik, 2) The flap-related risks and complications during surgery and for the rest of my life with Lasik do not exist with PRK, 3) Most studies show that visual outcomes are slightly (2-3%) better than Lasik, 4) Dry eye is usually less pronounced with PRK because it destroys fewer nerves, 5) I am active with running and toddler rough-housing and don't want to worry about the integrity of my cornea, 6) PRK has almost no limiting effects if I were to need other eye surgery in the future like some in my family have, 7) The Navy endorses PRK outright for it's pilots but not Lasik, 8) I am a great candidate with minimal correction needed, so "best case scenario" should be more likely for me, 9) My Ophthalmologist at the University of Minnesota electively chose to have PRK for himself, when he was a "slam-dunk" candidate for Lasik.

The downside of PRK is a longer and more uncomfortable recovery.  I will have "bandage" contacts in for a week until the epithelium has grown in.  Days 3-5 can be quite scratchy, light sensitive, and hard to keep eyes open.  Vision should be pretty good after 7 days, pretty darn good after 30, really good after 90, and great by 6 months. 

As for running, I'll be laid up for about 2-3 weeks, which is just in time to start my 4 week "pre-training" on May 6th.  I've been running about 10 miles a week the last month, but will have to hang up the shoes for a while.  It'll be great to run unencumbered this summer!  Wish me luck.

2 comments: