Tuesday, May 7, 2013

I Couldn't Help Myself

Today was my 1st scheduled run on my road (at times literally) to the Twin Cities Marathon.  It was supposed to be 3 miles...but I thought, "The weather is so nice, I'll do an easy 5".......I finished 7.3 miles later!  I had an absolute blast.  The slingshot was loading all winter, and it was released on this beautiful day in MN.  I had my 1 month PRK appointment at "The U," (healing is on track by the way), and K and P are visiting my mother-in-law, so I had nothing better to do than enjoy the day.

Don't get me wrong, I am unapologetic and occasionally obnoxiously St. Paul biased.  Yet, I must admit that today was a scenic day around campus and along both sides of the "Big River"--though I never actually talked to any humans.

 I started at Kelly's alma mater


Past the Weisman Art Museum


Over the Stone Arch Bridge into downtown


Here's a brief video if you want to know what it feels like to be my brain on a run


St. Anthony Falls were roaring


On past the Guthrie Theater


The Stone Arch Bridge from whence I came


Under the 35W Bridge, built following it's predecessor's collapse in 2008


I tipped my hat to my ancestors at Bohemian Flats


Ran along the river and through the woods


Climbed the river bank to be greeted by this beauty on Mississippi River Blvd


Thanked God that I wasn't driving in this!


I finished by stretching on my back, enjoying the sky and clouds


I'm sorry Minneapolis, but I must return to St. Paul if I want a great post-run, spiceeeey, Thai papaya salad
Thanks Supatra!


Yes, day 1 was reckless and to excess--it's not the first time in my life--but I just had to celebrate sharp vision, an able body, beautiful weather, and the second best town on the Mississippi.  Rest tomorrow.

3 comments:

  1. Remember when Kelly asked if the Flour Mill was bombed in WWII? Good Times.
    I also prefer St. Paul, but I do love the "views" of Minneapolis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Classic moment. The Twin Cities saw alot of action in WWII--real Vlach and Awe!

      Delete